Thursday, December 10, 2009

Is It or Isn't It?


I am constantly telling people that "I do not quilt". I did join SAQA thinking that maybe I might venture off into some "art quilts" but still held firm to the thought that "I do not quilt"! A while back I was working on a small piece for a show that is completely covered in stitch. A friend looked at it smiled and said "what do you mean you don't quilt - that's exactly what you are doing"! My mind just laughed at her comment and I said - "No, I'm not, I'm embellishing with stitch". We both had a good laugh at our conception of quilting. I suppose that technically I was "quilting" after all the piece was three layers and I was certainly holding the layers together with stitch. I wonder how many of us play these mind games....the thought of me quilting was just absurd yet I could "embellish" with hand stitch with no problem! Doesn't it go back to our comfort zones and what our "adult" mind says we can and can not do? So why do we impose these restrictions on our artistic self?

1 comment: